Holiday Gift Guide Top Pick 2016
Our Top Outdoor Gift Idea this year is a HEADLAMP. Why a headlamp? Because we care….PLUS:
Headlamp? For those of us who use poles, it’s a no-brainer. Put in your pack even if you know you’ll be done before dark. Stuff happens OTT (on the trail). Explore caves, tunnels, enjoy! Why this model? Black Diamond Spot is lightweight, waterproof and has great features. The red light is used at night so we don’t blind our buddies or lose our night vision. It comes in great colors – get a bright one for yourself and your favorite hiking buddy.
But also use for:
- Travel ~ If you’re in a hotel room and want to continue reading while your partner wants the light out – BINGO! The aim-hinge helps your neck and posture. (So does putting your book on a pillow)
- Safety ~ for those of us in earthquake land, we know to keep a pair of sturdy shoes under our bed, at the ready. A pair of socks goes in one and the headlamp (when not in the hiking pack) goes in the other. That way we have our hands available.
As we get older (beats the alternative), we need ways to stay safe. Once you get accustomed to using a headlamp, you’ll never go back. But – please – use it.
I find the directions a little murky, so here’s a recap: Open with the little lever on the side & install batteries (included). Then give yourself a tutorial:
- One press for strong spot. One press for off
- 2 quick presses for double (reading) light
- 3 quick presses for flashing lights
- Press and hold (about 2 seconds) for red (night) light
Keep pressing (4 to 6 seconds) to lock – again – VERY IMPORTANT to keep light from accidentally going on and draining the battery – blue lock light will come on. Press and hold (4 to 6 seconds) to unlock.
Notice battery monitor – cool huh?
Once on, if you press and hold, all lights will dim.
Power tap on side will alternate between custom dimmed setting and full strength.
This really is the coolest headlamp – now practice, have fun and please USE IT. Aim it vs. straining your neck. If reluctant, try reading with it and we hope you think it’s the best reading lamp ever!